Romania Adoption Program
Romania is located in central southeastern Europe. Approximately the size of Oregon, Romania shares a border with Hungary, Serbia, Bulgaria, Ukraine, Moldova and the Black Sea. Romania is the twelfth largest country in Europe and has a population of approximately 19 million.
Bucharest is Romania’s capital city and the country’s center for art, industry, culture and media. Romania’s beautiful landscape is comprised of mountains, plains, forests and many rivers and lakes.
Romania was a communist-block country until the 1989 Revolution. In 1991, the Romanian people voted on their new Constitution, becoming a multi-party democratic country. Presently, Romania is a NATO member and part of the European Union.
Alliance for Children worked in Romania in the 1990s. We placed many Romanian children with loving families until Romania closed for international adoptions in 2004 as they reorganized their adoption process. Now that the new Romanian adoption law allows inter-country adoption of Romanian children by Romanian citizens legally residing in the US, we are very happy to have been accredited to begin placing children from Romania once again!
- Children and sibling groups age 3 years and up.
- Children are tested for Hepatitis B, Hepatitis C and HIV.
- Children are in orphanages or small communal homes.
- Married couples and single males and females accepted.
- Parents 25-55 years old accepted. Parents over 55 accepted on a case-by-case basis.
- At least one parent must hold a Romanian passport.
- Apply to USCIS for advanced approval to be eligible to adopt.
- Satisfy the laws of the state where you reside.
- Complete a home study by a licensed agency.
- Meet the eligibility requirement of the Romanian Adoption Laws and provide required documents to the Romanian Office for Adoption.
- It takes approximately 3 months to obtain USCIS approval, complete a home study and prepare a dossier.
- Referral is 1 – 3 months from submission of dossier.
- Photo and medical of the child(ren) is received at referral.
- Total of 2 – 3 trips required.
- Parents travel to Romania after referral for 30 days of bonding with the child(ren).
- Court date is scheduled 1 month after bonding trip; Both parents must travel for court.
- Post-court work takes 2 – 3 weeks. Parents can return to US & make a 3rd trip for this piece or stay in Romania after court. Only 1 parent must be present post-court.