Bulgaria Adoption Program
Bulgaria is located in south-eastern Europe in the middle of the Balkan Peninsula. With its unique language, unified culture and state traditions, it has existed for more than 13 centuries. Bulgaria borders Romania to its North, Serbia and Macedonia to its West, Greece and Turkey to its South, and the Black Sea to its East. The country is an imaginary crossroad between Western Europe, Africa and Asia. Bulgaria is about the size of the state of Ohio with a population of approximately 8 million. It is the 14th largest country in Europe. Bulgaria’s capital, Sofia, is the cultural and commercial hub of the country.
Bulgaria has many cultural and historical landmarks. Though it is not one of Europe’s most popular tourist destinations, there are great outdoor activities for tourists to enjoy due to the country’s rich and diverse landscape, which consists of low, middle and high mountains, hills and plateaus, lowlands and valleys, hollows and passes, plains and meadows, bays and beaches. The 220-mile shoreline of the Black Sea offers coastline resorts while the mineral waters the country boasts make for several tourist spas. The mountains throughout Bulgaria allow for skiing and other winter sports. There are three national parks in Bulgaria, all run by the State – Pirin, Rila and Central Balkan.
Alliance for Children is thrilled to begin working in Bulgaria in 2013! Our resource brings years of experience to this exciting new program.
- Infants, toddlers, young children and sibling groups available.
- Children are tested for Hepatitis B and HIV.
- Children are in houses for medical and social care.
- Married couples and single women over 18 years of age.
- There must be at least a 15-year age difference between the child(ren) and at least one parent.
- Parent(s) must be in good health and have no criminal history.
- Apply to USCIS for advanced approval to be eligible to adopt.
- Satisfy the laws of the state where you reside.
- Complete a home study by a licensed agency.
- Meet the eligibility requirement of the Bulgarian Adoption Laws and provide necessary documents to the Bulgarian Ministry of Justice.
- It takes approximately 3 months to obtain USCIS approval, complete a home study and prepare a dossier.
- Referral is 1 – 3 years from submission of dossier depending upon child’s age and health condition.
- Photo and medical of the child(ren) available after referral; information about children with special needs available immediately.
- Two trips of one week each are required with 3 months in between trips.
- Both parents must travel on trip 1. One parent only required on trip 2.